cultural relics cultural relics revision for unit 1
Click here to load reader
Post on 05-Jan-2016
Embed Size (px)
cultural relicsRevision for Unit 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11Survive the accidentremain quietlook intobelong tolook for/be in search of/search forin returna lighted candleat warThere is no doubt that..take apartconsider doing
13 14 15 16/, 17 18~ ~ ~
21.. 22. in ones opinionThe news proves true.pretend to dothink highly/much ofimagine doingbe used to do// doing////// used to doIt takes sb sth to do sth. serve as
Explanation1. compete: (vt) take part in a race, contest, exam, etc.compete in / Will you compete in the race?(2) compete against / with / He is going to compete against / with his classmates.
(3) compete for / The two teams will compete for the championship.(4) competitor competition , competitive (adj.) ,
2. survive vt &vi Fortunately he survived the traffic accident. Camels can survive for many days with no water. The helicopter picked up all the ________. They prayed for the _______ of the sailors. survivor (n.) survival (n.) survivorssurvival
3. remain (1) vi. , I went to the city, but my brother remained at home. (2) link-verb. n. /adj. //adv. My friend became a boss, but I remained a teacher. The death of the old man remained unknown. The problem remains to be discussed.
Nothing remains but to send the invitation out. ()It only remains for me to sign the paper that you gave me. ()He bought a new book with the _________ () 40 yuan.=He bought a new book with the 40 yuan ___. () remainingleft
--- Why do you look so upset? --- There are so many troublesome problems ___. A. remaining to settle B. remained settled C. remaining to be settled D. remained to be settled.C
4. the rest , ,,I have finished most of the work, and the rest __ to be done next week.Some students went out, and the rest ___ remained in the classroom.isare
5. imagine vt. n. imagination(1) You cant imagine how I miss you all.(2) We can hardly imagine life without water.(3) Can you imagine her becoming a thief? = Can you imagine her as a thief?
6. state / condition / situation(1) We try to make ourselves get into a ____ before the exam.(2) Janna is in a poor ____ of health, which worries her parents.(3) His health is in good ________.statestatecondition
(4) Suddenly he found himself in a difficult ________. state , ; condition , , ; situation , situation
7. find / find out / discover(1) Ive _____ the book I was looking for.(2) Please _______ what time they are coming.(3) The police are trying hard to _______ about the accident.foundfind outfind out
(4) Columbus _________ the New World in 1492. find out : , , find: ,, discover: , , discovered
8. gift ; He has got lots of birthday gifts. He is a man of gifts. The boy has a gift for music. gifted (adj.)
couldcouldnt9. +have done () He paid for a seat when he _____ have entered free. (could /would / must / need) I _______ have been more than six years old when the accident happened. (shouldnt / couldnt / mustnt / neednt)
10. it easily melts when heated +(: v-ing, )(1) While (they were) ________the house, they found the vase.(2) When (he was) _____, he made no answer.buildingasked
(3) Unless (I am) ______, I wont go there.(4) When ______ help, one often says Thank you or Its kind of you. (offering / to offer / to be offered / offered)(5) When first __________ (introduce) to the market, these products enjoyed great success. (o4 )offeredinvitedintroduced
11. design (v. / n.)(1) They ________ the building carefully.(2) The experiment ____________ test the new drug. ()(3) I like the ______ of the new school.(4) Children above 12 are able to take part in skiing or other activities ________ (design) for them. (05)designeddesignedis designed todesign
12. fancy adj. (1) fancy clothes (2) Fancy meeting you here! !(3) I dont fancy walking in the snow. have a fancy for ,, fancy sb. doing sth.
13. in return , What can we do for them in return for all the help they have given us? ? I gave him some books in return for his assistance. in turn ,; by turns ,
14. missing / lost / gone Five people were _______.The boat and all the men were ___ in the storm.My pain in the leg is ____ now.Much to his upset, Bob found his wallet _______ just as he wanted to pay for the necktie.missinglostgonemissing
missing: , , ;lost: , , gone: , ,,,15. + ()at war/work/home/tableon show/duty/sale/holiday/fire/watchin trouble/danger/battle/doubtunder repair/discussion/construction
16. Theres no doubt that Theres no need to do / for sth / sb Theres no possibility that (Its) no wonder (that)Do you doubt ____ she will succeed?I doubt _________ he will keep his word.I have no doubt ____ he will win the game.thatif/whetherthat
1. Time spent: A ____ of artists spent ___ years making it.2. Material: 7,000 tons of ______ were used for making it, with ____ and ______.3. Purpose: It was made ___ to be a gift, ___ for the Palace of Frederick I.teamtenambergoldjewelsnotbutRevision The Amber Room
4. Results: It was _________ to Russia people. After Frederick William I succeeded his father and ______ the king of Prussia; soon it became part of the Czars winter palace; it was one of the great _______ of the world; in 1941, wonderssent/givenbecame
it was _____ by the Nazis. Now a new Amber Room ____________ in Russia and it ______________ the old one, ________ the old photos.stolenhas been builtlooks much likefollowing
2. Task 2: Fill in the blanks using which, as, when, who, whom, where, when, why, that.(1) St Petersburg is a very beautiful city, _____ was once called Leningrad.(2) In Xian, I met a teacher, ____ has a strong love for cultural relics and took me to visit the history museum.whichwho
(3) I dont remember the soldier, ____ told me not to tell anyone what I had seen.(4) My grandfather was a child then, ____ people didnt pay much attention to cultural relics in the old days. (5) They moved the boxes to a mine, _____ they wanted to hide them. whowhenwhere
(1) What surprised me was not what he said but the way _____________ he said it.(2) Were just trying to reach a point _____ both sides will sit down together and talk. (06(that/in which)where3. Task 3: Practice.
(3) ___ is often the case, we have worked out the production plan.(4) This is the very house _____ he lived.(5) Next winter, _____ you will spend in Harbin, Im sure, will be another exciting holiday.(6) Thats the reason ____ he was late.Aswherewhichwhy
(7) The pictures brought the days back to the old _____ they swam in the river.(8) Robert and his songs ___ were famous in the U. S. are also popular in China.(9) They are always smoking, _____ of course, will do harm to their health.(10) The situation _____ you use the words is very clear in fact.whenthatwhichwhere
The reason why he explained at the meeting surprised us.
2. I can remember the days when we spent together.why(that)when(that /which)Correct the mistakes
3. The way in which you talked about is very important for us.
4. Put the book in which you can it easily.
in which (which /that)in which--where
1. Finish the related exercises .2. Remember the useful expressions.Homework