140 characters the twitter story
out of 12
Post on 12-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. 140 Characters: The Twitter Chronicles By David Steadman
- 2. How Twitter Saved Londons Air Clean Air in London (@cleanairlondon) is a non-profit organization that campaigns for sustainable air quality in London. Provides education about air quality and solutions to improve it
- 3. How it all began Clear Air in London aimed to extend the reach of their content and more rapidly grow their base of engaged followers. Geo-targeting was used to spread awareness to Londons twitter users.
- 4. How Other Twitter Users Pitched In Word of Londons alarmingly high levels of nitrogen dioxide spread through twitter accounts operated by the Mayor of London (Boris Johnson), BBC News, and The Guardian.
- 5. The Outcome @cleanairlondon was successful in its attempts to raise awareness. Engagement rate of 19.4%. Over two times as many followers Over three times as many overall clicks
- 6. Why it was a success Strong Message with tips and guidelines to cultivate a public understanding of pollution. Targeting the audience that would generate the best results. Personally acknowledging retweets, favorites, and new followers.
- 7. Twitter to the Rescue
- 8. How it Happened In 2012, New York Times reporter David Pogue had his iPhone stolen on a subway After activating the tracking device, Pogue discovered that his phone traveled several miles to a sketchy suburb in Maryland. He then posted these tweets to his 1.4 million Twitter followers:
- 9. How it Happened Cont. Within minutes of the tweet being posted, several of his followers began searching. One of those followers was a police officer in the town where the phone was emitting a signal.
- 10. How the Phone was found After some searching, the iPhone was found lying in the backyard grass of a nearby home. Initially, the homeowner denied taking the phone. Later, he admitted to taking it in order to avoid criminal charges.
- 11. The Outcome The iPhone was then sent back to David Pogues residence in Connecticut. The story raised questions about user privacy Mr. Pogue refuted the concerns, saying that the tracking device could only be activated with a password HE set.
- 12. SOURCES Clean Air in London https://business.twitter.com/succ ess-stories/clean-air-London. 17 February 2015. Online. Privacy in a Digital Age. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb /media-july-dec12-phone_08-03/. 18 February 2015. Online. Images Provided by Creative Commons and Google Images
View more >