2013 mistra library workshop
out of 17
Post on 11-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONLibrary workshop for government officials partaking in the University of Cape Town MISTRA programme run via the UCT Environmental & Geographical Science Dept.
- 1. Library Workshop By Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT Libraries
- 2. ways libraries can make your academic life easier By Linda Kelly l Academic Librarian @ UCT
- 3. #1. save time #2. get better grades #3. find things that Google cant
- 4. The 3 Basics 1) 1-stop-shops & contact 2) How to search 3) Find stuff: books & articles
- 5. stop shops & contacts Library website - http://www.lib.uct.ac.za/ Off campus login Ask-A-Librarian Subject Guides
- 6. 2. How to search(a) How is info organised?
- 7. 2. How to search...(b) Where to find books & articles? Aleph Online Catalogue : books only Primo Platforms Databases
- 8. 2. How to search(c) Avoid speeding fines! Plagiarism Copyright Creative Commons license Create your own licence Includes images Cannot present another persons work as your own Can get expelled Bad reputation amongst peers Referencing Online guides Many software programmes RefWorks, EndNote, Men deley, etc.
- 9. RefWorks
- 10. 2. How to search(c) c) What is Boolean Searching? AND, OR, NOT See Boolean Operators Guide in EGS LibGuide
- 11. 3. Find stuff: books & articles...(a) You either have a) the book & article info, i.e. title, author, journal, etc. OR b) the essay task & subject area
- 12. 3. Find stuff: books & articles...(b) Examples Book Title: Environmental Governance and Climate Change in Africa Article Title: Brown, M. 2009. Markets, climate change, and food security in West Africa. Environmental science & technology, 43(21):8016 -20.
- 13. Recap Volunteers?
- 14. Recap 1 (a)
- 15. Recap 1(b)
- 16. Recap 1(c) Plagiarism Copyright Referencing
- 17. Thank you Linda Kelly @ UCT Libraries Academic Librarian: EGS, Archaeology & Oceanography Linda.Kelly@uct.ac.za
View more >