8 Ways To Get More Out Of An LMS
Post on 16-Apr-2017
No Escaping Mobile Learning
Amit Gautam@amitgautamAmol Shinde@amolbshinde
Design the cover page based on thisput botts and amols twitter handles
Upside Learningyears in eLearning9+clients in 13 countries150+awards & recognition30
Our offeringsUpsideLMS | Upside2Go | Custom Learning Solutions
Upside LearningUpside Learning Solutions blog www.upsidelearning.com/blog eBooks and WhitepapersMobile LearningLearning Management SystemsGame-based Learning
Research endeavorsASTD ResearchBrandon Hall GroupTowards Maturity
Amit GautamAmol ShindeDirector and Co-founder, Upside Learning12+ years in eLearning domainEngg. (Computer Science), MBA Learning technologist, Internet addictAVP Sales (India)9+ years in Software Services & eLearning domain eLearning enthusiast
48 Way to get MORE out of an LMS
1Selecting an LMS-9 Step Guide ( Quick Snap Shot)Evolution of the LMSMyths about the LMS23Agenda5
Selecting an LMS-9 Step GuideQuick Snap Shot
Why LMS selection is important?The system potentially touches every employee in the companyCost benefitWider Reach with growing employee base
How to select an LMS?
Create an RFI/RFP3
Circulate an RFI/RFP for the responses to the shortlisted vendors5
Conductmeetings anddemos forthe product6
Do the technical evaluation of the LMS from IT7
Do the vendordue diligence8
Decide on LMS Vendorand the implementation strategy9
I will prefer a graphical representation of these 9 points. It could be a circle where in all the points are coming one by onehttp://www.shutterstock.com/pic-127915238/stock-vector-continual-circle-arrow-multicolor-with-icons-can-use-for-diagram-graph-infographic-business.html?src=mZQZczffMlIFhWTBGXj0Fw-1-428
Poll #1Which of these is true for your organization?Already have an LMS implementedCurrently implementing an LMSPlanning to implement LMS in next 3 monthsDont have an LMS. No immediate plans to implement
Evolution of an LMS
Evolution of an LMS: from Management to Learning Social Collaboration
Collaborative, Talent Driven & Formal Learning Talent Management Mobile Learning
Traditional & Computer Assisted Training Instructor & Computer Based ( CBT ) LMS was only an administrative platform
The eLearning era Put material online- information versus instructions Introduction of Virtual Classroom
Blended Learning & Informal Learning Mixing all forms of Media with informal learning Learning on demand and integrated programs
Like this - http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-132436361/stock-vector-modern-business-step-options-vector-illustration-can-be-used-for-workflow-layout-diagram-number.html?src=mZQZczffMlIFhWTBGXj0Fw-1-62
The Evolution of the LMS
Please recreate this diagram in Upsides format12
Poll#2Select your top 3 perceptions about the LMS.LMS is an expense and not an investment LMS can do only eLearning deliveryLMS is not mission/time criticalLMS administration is a lot of workLMS adoption is a challenge
Myths about the LMS
Myths about the LMSLMS is an expense and not investment LMS can do only elearning deliveryLMS is not mission/time criticalLMS administration is a lot of workLMS adoption is a challenge
8 Ways to Get More Out of an LMS
1. Know your user: Who the LMS is for?
Here please create a diagram which represents various departments in an organisation e.g. HR, Finance, Operations, Sales, Marketing. And roles like Manager, Employee, L&D
1. Know your user: Who the LMS is for?
Why is it important?They have to live with it everydaySuccess of any LMS depends on the LMS usersKey features of an LMS are decided based on the user profilesEach department has a unique requirementUsability & design varies based on the users
1. Know your user: Who the LMS is for?Care about user experience and not administrationDefine the user persona Identify key interactions with the LMSDecide on what is most important to the end usersEliminate what is going to confuse the user
2. Learning Strategy: What an organization wants to achieve?
While strategy is a powerful discipline, many companies forget that without good execution a strategy is only a plan- an intention. Every Year thousand of strategic plans fail because they weren't translated into compelling customer experiences. In short road to hell is paved with a good strategy.
2. Learning Strategy: What an organization wants to achieve?Create a comprehensive strategyThink about long term and short term strategiesGet it verified with key stake holders Connect your learning strategy with LMSImplement
3. ReachChallengesRight messagingAppropriate mediumsFrequencyContext should drive the content
3. ReachDecide on the messaging strategyHave specific messages designed for specific target audienceCreate some excitementUse all possible mediums to promote the LMS portalHave a dedicated communication teamExplore and exploit all the communication channels
4. Resources A well defined content resource is key to the success of any LMS.
4. ResourcesRelevant content for target audienceContent to be available in multiple formatsHTML CoursesPDF, PPT, Word, ExcelVideosResearch Papers, White Papers Avenues to get their queries addressed instantly ( e.g. Chat, Ask an expert)
We need to add wikis, twitter, communities, Polls in addition to the above blogs. Please recreate the diagram26
5. EngageLeverage on social learning modulesIdentify key contributorsEncourage learners to participate Implement open feedback systemImplement reward systems Create a knowledge center/repository
Please re-create this image. Please remove Middle section and put only LMS.28
6. IntegrateWorld is moving towards unification of IT systemsIncrease the power of Learning Management Systems with integrationHarness integration to streamline and automate critical business processes focusing on driving new businessIntegrate using APIs of other applications and services in order to streamline:onboarding processes, measure and track audience engagement, synchronize data between LMS and other collaboration, CRM, mobile, and social apps.With integration you can expand addressable market, focus on core competency, increase reach, lower customer churn, and accelerate time to value
MIS & Reporting3-Tier ArchitectureKnowledge Collaboration ToolsOnline Assessments& SurveyseCommerceMobile LearningLearning Content Authoring & ManagementSocial LearningClassroom Training ManagementAssignments & Certifications7. Right blend
Please remove Upside LMS from the diagram30
7. Right blendChose the right blend of module based on the target audienceUse modules deliberatelyGo for a phase wise approach if need beEmphasize on adoption at all levelsSeek regular feedback from the key stakeholder/s of each departmentModify the blend if the need be
8. AnalyticsIf you cant measure it, you cant manage it.
-Bersin & Associates
Analytics v/s ReportingAnalytics must be used to address 3 major issues faced by organizations EffectivenessEfficiencyComplianceDetermine ROI Present reports to important stakeholders8. Analytics
Continuous learning is increasingly important to the success of the organization because of changing economic conditions. Given the current business environment, organizations must be able to learn continuously in order to deal with these changes and, in the end, to survive.-c4lpt
5 key points to remember
Think Big, Plan Big, Start Small
Get the right content on board
Keep IT in loop
Draw & present regular analytics
Please create a graphical representation of these pointers. Pls do not put it as just pointers35
Amit Gautam@email@example.comAmol Shinde@firstname.lastname@example.orgPlease participate in our survey.