can digital badges increase capacity for teaching online?
out of 25
Post on 05-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONHow we have implemented digital badges into our Teaching Online Certification workshops.
- 1. Can Digital Badges Increase Capacity for Teaching Online? Bill Knapp Dean of Learning Technologies Lakeland Community College firstname.lastname@example.org @itbill on Twitter
- 2. Lakeland Learning Technologies Lakeland Community College Kirtland, Ohio http://www.lakelandcc.edu/lt/ Lakeland Community College
- 3. The Problem is Capacity
- 4. Growth in Distance Learning 0 2000 4000 6000 8000 10000 12000 fall 2005 fall 2006 fall 2007 fall 2008 fall 2009 fall 2010 fall 2011 fall 2012 fall 2013 total count online count
- 5. OBR Academic Program Review guidelines and procedures the expectation that faculty members who teach online courses must be prepared for teaching in an online environment.
- 6. Top Challenges for DL Administrators 1. Engaging faculty in development of online pedagogy 2. Evaluation of faculty 3. Training 4. Workload issues 5. Compensation 6. Technical support 7. Intellectual property / ownership issues 8. Recruitment 9. Buy-in to e-learning - ITC Distance Ed Survey 2013
- 7. Who Teaches Online?
- 8. Quality Assurance
- 9. Instructional Design Support
- 10. Develop Teaching Online Certification Peer-to-peer Training Options Recognize accomplishments with Digital Badges Integrate Quality Matters Standards Our Solution
- 11. Peer-to-Peer Training
- 12. Teaching with Technology Institute Two faculty on release to Center for Learning Innovation (CLI) for one year Team approach to developing curriculum for Teaching Online Workshop Series Competency-based training format
- 13. Authentic Faculty Online Experience
- 14. Competency-based Model Participants are provided a sandbox course (e-Portfolio) to complete the assignments and demonstrating the competencies
- 15. The Curriculum Four series of three workshops per topic area Extending your Course with Blackboard Learn Teaching with Blackboard Learn Designing the Online Course Teaching & Learning Online
- 16. Badges Badge systems we considered: Mozilla Backpack Open Passport (Purdue University) Credly
- 17. Going Forward Graduates are awarded a certificate of completion Online self-paced version with captioned video tutorials Graduates may participate as facilitators and are compensated for their time Part-time faculty may also qualify for CEUs and one time stipend of $250.00
- 18. Photo Credits Too much coffee, Luigi Anzivino, CC-BY-NC-SA http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilmungo/19804382/ Computer problems, CollegeDegrees360, CC-BY-SA http://www.flickr.com/photos/83633410@N07/7658225516/ integratED Portland 2013, Rachel Wendt-Chaney, CC-BY-NC-SA http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwentechaney/8485729511 edcampPDX November 2011, Rachel Wendt-Chaney, CC-BY-NC-SA http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwentechaney/6336050259/ Questions time, Martin Sharman, CC-BY-NC-SA http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharman/5004323423/
View more >