emmy's rube goldberg machine
out of 9
Post on 12-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. RUBE GOLDBERG MACHINE By Emmy Bowyer
- 2. THE TASK The task was to build a Rube Goldberg Machine-a complicated contraption that performs a simple task. It had to fit in a 131cm long and 109cm wide box. It also had to be planned, it had to do something(in our case turn a page in a book and put a lid on a bin), it had to be built with materials from a material list and we had to have an equal amount of elements and different simple machines to the number of people in our group. We had eight weeks to design, build and make a video about our machine. It was an exciting project to end semester one.
- 3. THE DESIGN This is our original design. To get to this diagram we each created our own design then decided on one that we wanted. We ended up combining Phoebes and mine to create the one we have now. In it we planned to use a marble run, a domino path, a car and pulley system, two catapults, a cog and a book that has its page turned. Our two aims were to have a lid put on a bin and to have a page turned in a book.
- 4. THE MATERIALS, ELEMENTS AND SIMPLE MACHINES To the left, the circled images in our original design are our four elements. Grace built the marble run, I built the pulley, Milly worked on the chain reaction caused by dominoes and Phoebe worked on turning a page in a book. The materials we used were: cardboard, a plastic bin, hot glue, sticky tape, marble run, plastic tubing, empty tennis ball tube, a pulley, string, a book, Lego and a car. Our simple machines were a handmade wedge, a pulley, a wheel and axle and an inclined plane.
- 5. THE BUILD Building the machine was delayed by the small amount of materials that we had. After a couple of sessions of not doing much though we had enough equipment to progress to the next element. In the building process we used hot glue, sticky tape and cardboard screws to connect things and found that using cardboard was a necessity. We got our machine finished with one lesson to spare, or so we thought. When we tried the machine the next lesson, the pulley jammed and the car got stuck. But we got it working in the end.
- 6. THE MODIFICATIONS Some modifications we made took a turn for the worse before benefiting our machine, they all ended up teaching us about simple machines and chain reactions. Our simple machines were modified the most. The original concept was to have two catapults, which were the transport for the next element to start and the glue for most of our machine. We changed the whole idea in the end though, the catapults(giving us two simple machines-a lever and a fulcrum) were replaced with wedges and inclined planes due to the many fails that we received from making them. We also changed a lot of other things.
- 7. THE MEDIA
- 8. THE EVALUATION I thought that we worked efficiently and we planned the design well. We overcame most problems quickly and other machines also helped provide ideas and inspiration. Though our machine is small and simple, it works and we had fun making it.
- 9. AND I, UH, I WONDER HOW ANYBODY CAN THINK HIS PERSONALITY CHANGES WITH HIS SUCCESS. IVE HAD QUITE A BIT OF SUCCESS, BUT I FEEL I'M JUST THE SAME PERSON I ALWAYS WAS. -REUBEN GARRET LUCIUS GOLDBERG PASSIONATE CARTOONIST AND THE CREATER OF RUBE GOLDBERG MACHINES