Intro to Personal Learning Environments
Post on 27-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis was a quick 15 minute overview of the concept of personal learning environments. The audience was comprised of learning technologists from across the University of Wisconsin. Feb 2009
- 1. Personal Learning Environments ComETS Emerging Trends Feb. 19, 2009 Jeff Bohrer DoIT Academic Technology
2. Whats the Problem? Email Newsletters Magazines Headlines Meetings Conversations 3. Learning is not exclusively formal
- Professional development
4. What is a Personal Learning Environment?
- Part application
- Part philosophy
5. What is a Personal Learning Environment?
- PLE is a tool that allows a learner toengagein a network of people, services, and resources.
- - Stephen Downes
6. Key Components of a PLE
- Content aggregation
- Production tools*
- Links to our community networks*
7. UW System eLearning task force, 2008 Todays LMS 8. PLE UW System eLearning task force, 2008 9. What is todays PLE?
- RSS reader?
- Personal portal?
- Web browser?
10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. ...enabling you to scan, organise, remix, and republish entries from your feeds to everything from Twitter to bibliographic databases getfeedforward.org 17. elgg.org 18. Challenges for Campus IT
- Ensure flexible learning systems
- Advance web services
- Promote community networks
- Model engaged participation
19. Learn@UW and Moodle 20. Participate! 21. For further exploration
- Web 2.0, Personal Learning Environments, and the Future of Learning Management Systems ECAR Bulletin June 2008
- Stephen Downes
- downs.ca (search PLE)
- Google: Personal Learning Environments