psycho comic (1)
Click here to load reader
Post on 07-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Social Psychology Comic Strip Never Judge A Book By Its Cover Group member Foong Wing Hoe 0320085 Chia Ly Vier 0320142 Kiraly Renaud 0320322 Pang Kai Yun 0319802 Charel Fernando 0320106
- 2. THE STORYLINE
- 3. The story begins in a busy street where thousands of people walk around and nobody looks or cares about the beggar beside the street.
- 4. A guy wearing a gold necklace with tattoos on both arms went into a coffee shop. The shopkeeper immediately thinks that he is a gangster based on his appearance.
- 5. The shopkeeper is shocked by the gangster looking guy and he thought that the guy might rob him with a gun but he just ordered a cup of latte.
- 6. An hour later, a beautiful lady came in and bought a cup of coffee. The guy approaches him but he was rejected by the lady because she thinks that hes not handsome and disrespectful.
- 7. The guy went out from the shop and approached the beggar. He gave food to the beggar and the beggar was shocked because he thought that nobody is going to help him.
- 8. CONCEPT 1: DIFFUSION RESPONSIBILITY This process occurs when a bystander does not take action to help because other persons share the responsibility for intervening. In the comic, the action of people passing by the beggar beside the street portrays diffusion responsibility as they tend to think that others share the responsibility to help him, so they tend to think that others will help him even if I do not help.
- 9. CONCEPT 2: STEREOTYPE A type of schema in which we apply generalized information to an individual based on the group to which he or she belongs. In the comic, the shopkeeper experience stereotype as he categorize the guy as a gangster based on his physical appearance. He thinks that everyone with tattoo is considered as unfriendly and is involved in illegal activities.
- 10. CONCEPT 3: AFFECTIVE FORECASTING The process of predicting (often inaccurate ones) the impact future events will have on our overall emotional state. In the comic, the shopkeeper experience affective forecasting as he predicts the gangster looking guy is going to rob him with a gun which is inaccurate because he is just another normal customer.
- 11. CONCEPT 4: FIRST IMPRESSION The event when one person first encounters another person and forms a mental image of that person. In the comic, we can see that the lady rejected the guy immediately due to her first impression towards him because she thinks that hes not handsome at all.
- 12. CONCEPT 5: FALSE CONSENSUS EFFECT A phenomenon that causes individuals to assume that everyone shares the same opinion as they do. In the comic, the beggar utilises false consensus effect which he assumes that everyone will think as he do -- nobody will help him. He was wrong because there is still kind soul who will help a beggar without any reason.
- 13. CONCLUSION In the comic, a total of 5 concept is incorporated: DIFFUSION RESPONSIBILITY STEREOTYPE AFFECTIVE FORECASTING FIRST IMPRESSION FALSE CONSENSUS EFFECT
- 14. Thank You !