technological pedagogical content knowledge
out of 23
Post on 05-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Technological PedagogicalContent KnowledgeA Framework for TeacherKnowledge Presented by Stephanie Sampson
- 2. This session will look at The place of technology in teaching and learning Current teacher training TPCK framework as a guide to more effective teacher training TPCK in action-examples of successful teacher training Why have a theoretical framework like TPCK?
- 3. Technology in Teaching andLearning how does it fit? Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal. -Albert Einstein
- 4. Technology in Teaching andLearning how does it fit? The advent of digital technology has dramatically changed routines and practices in most arenas of human work. Routines and practices in Education have undoubtedly encountered changes, but are they dramatic? It has become clearthat in Education, the reality has lagged far behind the vision.
- 5. Current Teacher training "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." -Albert Einstein
- 6. Current Teacher training A tendency to look only at the technology and not how it is used. A conceptually based theoretical framework about the relationship between technology and teaching [like TPCK] can transformteacher education, teacher training, and teachers professional development. Relationships between teaching and technology and complex and contextually bound there is no one-size-fits-all approach.
- 7. TPCK framework as a guide tomore effective teacher training "We cant solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
- 8. TPCK framework as a guide tomore effective teacher training Old-school trends in teacher education Content Pedagogy
- 9. TPCK framework as a guide tomore effective teacher training Newer-school trends in teacher education Content Pedagogy Pedagogical-content Knowledge
- 10. TPCK framework as a guide tomore effective teacher training Technological trends in teacher education Pedagogical-content Knowledge Content Pedagogy Technology
- 11. TPCK framework as a guide to more effective teacher training TPCK at a Glance Pedagogical-content Knowledge Technological Pedagogical content Knowledge Content Pedagogy TechnologyTechnological Content Knowledge Technological Pedagogical Knowledge
- 12. TPCK framework as a guide tomore effective teacher training Content Knowledge facts, information, concepts, theories, the what Pedagogical Knowledge Method, processes, practices, techniques, the how Pedagogical Content Knowledge How to teach the what
- 13. TPCK framework as a guide tomore effective teacher training Technological Knowledge Knowledge about standard technologies how to use them Whiteboard, books, internet, digital video Technological Content knowledge How the subject matter can be changed by the application of technology Technological Pedagogical Knowledge Knowledge about how a range of technological tools can support teaching.
- 14. TPCK framework as a guide tomore effective teacher training Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge The basis of good teaching with technology Pedagogical techniques that use technologies in constructive ways to teach content Knowledge of what makes concepts difficult or easy to learn and how technology can help redress some of the problems that students face Knowledge of how technologies can be used to build on existing knowledge and to develop new epistemologies or strengthen old ones
- 15. TPCK in Action "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
- 16. TPCK in Action Learning Technology by Design The development of TPCK co-evolved with an effort to teach courses that develop teachers understanding of technology. Learning is best supported when the content is part of a context that the students can perceive as meaningful, assign value to the subject matter, and develop an understanding of the relation of it with their lives (Lave, 1997) Design-based activities provide a rich context for learning.
- 17. TPCK in Action Making Movies
- 18. TPCK in Action Learning Technology by Design in EDUC9701 What new technological skills have you acquired so far in this topic? What connections have you formed between your new-found skills and the concepts/ideas relating to using ICT for teaching and learning?
- 19. Why have a theoreticalframework like TPCK? "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." -Albert Einstein
- 20. Why have a theoreticalframework like TPCK? To guide observation (p1039) To make sense of the complex web of relationships that exist when teachers attempt to apply technology to the teaching of subject matter To allow us to conceptualize and discuss To give us the language to talk about it (p1044)
- 21. Why have a theoreticalframework like TPCK? To allow us to understand what good teaching with technology is about and also to make predictions about contexts under which such good teaching will occur To tell us how we can apply the ideas to the real world To allow us to critique simplistic approaches toward developing teacher knowledge and assist us in developing better learning environments (p1045)
- 22. The goal of teacher education is not to indoctrinate or train teachers to behave in prescribed ways, but to educate teachers to reason soundly about their teaching as well as to perform skillfully. (Shulman, 1987, p. 13)
- 23. ReferencesMishra, P. & Koehler, M. J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A new framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers college Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.Harris, K. (1995), Collected Quotes from Albert Einstein, retrieved 19 March 2012, from http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html.
View more >