w29-engaging millenial students with web 2.0 tools
Post on 06-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONTools for live blogging and collaboration in (and out) of class.
- 1.W29 Engaging Millennial StudentsWith Web 2.0 Tools
Bentley University, Waltham, MA
3. kids back then didnt expect to be engaged
by everything they did
4. 5. 6. Todays Students
7. 8. tweet @poll 39728 and your message
9. Live Blogging:coveritlive.com
Create a backchannel
Ask students to take notes
10. Digital Students:
Work in teams
Create and consume content
Handle lots of information
Are always connected
12. Todays students are no longer the people our educational system was designed to teach.
13. Learning with Web 2.0 Tools
14. Learning Today
Relevant / Real World
Produce, Consume, and Organize Knowledge
Figure it out attitude
15. Learning in a Web 2.0 World
What do you want to learn?
Where does the data /information come from?
How can it be shared?
What do we know?
What connections can we make?
18. Tools for Engaging Todays Students
19. Whose class is it?
20. Whose class is it now?
21. Hint:Use Your Google Site as a Course Entry Point in Blackboard
To change your landing page in Blackboard, go to Control Panel
Course Options Manage Course Menu External Link. Create an external link to your Google site.
Then go to Control Panel Settings -> Course Entry Point and select the Google site as the entry point.
22. Live Polling
Embed on Blog or Web Site
Include in PowerPoint
Some offer Cell Phone or Twitter Polling
23. Scheduling EventsPolls
24. Create Web Video:viddler.com
Video for yourBlog or Web Site
25. Slide Sharing:slideshare.net
27. Live Video Streaming:ustream.tv
Turn your PC into a TV Studio
Chat with your viewers.
28. Desktop Sharing:crossloop.com
Download the Crossloop client.
Yuuguu.com is another browser based crossplatformdesktop sharing tool
Find people like you to follow
Twhirlclient on your PC
Build a social network!
Twitter Educators to follow
31. How cool was that?
Mark FrydenbergTwitter: @checkmarkEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org