presentaion on bhel- diesel locomotive
Post on 10-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
- BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, JHANSI Abhishek Agarwal 101603
- o BHEL is the largest engineering and manufacturing enterprise in India in the energy/infrastructure sector today. BHEL was established more than 40 years ago when its first plant was set up in Bhopal ushering in the indigenous Heavy Electrical Equipment industry in India, a dream that has been more than realized with a well-recognized track record of performance. INTRODUCTION o By the end of 5th five-year plan, it was envisaged by the planning commission that the demand for power transformer would rise in the coming years. Anticipating the countrys requirement BHEL decided to set up a new plant.The new plan BHEL jhansi was setup in 9th january 1974.
- DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE DEPARTMENT
- Locomotive A locomotive or engine is a railway vehicle that provides the motive power for a train. The word originates from the Latin loco "from a place", ablative of locus, "place" + Medieval Latin motivus, "causing motion", and is a shortened form of the term locomotive engine. The first successful locomotives were built by Cornish inventor Richard Trevithick in 1804.
- Diesel Locomotive A diesel locomotive is a type of railway locomotive in which the prime mover is a diesel engine. Several types of diesel locomotive have been developed, differing mainly in the means by which mechanical power is conveyed to the driving wheels (drivers).
- Parts of a Diesel-Electric Locomotive
- Another view
- Diesel Engine This is the main power source for the locomotive. A diesel engine (also known as a compression-ignition engine) is an internal combustion engine that uses the heat of compression to initiate ignition to burn the fuel that has been injected into the combustion chamber. It comprises a large cylinder block, with the cylinders arranged in a straight line or in a V.
- Engine view
- Main Alternator The diesel engine drives the main alternator which provides the power to move the train. The alternator generates AC electricity which is used to provide power for the traction motors mounted on the trucks (bogies). In older locomotives, the alternator was a DC machine, called a generator. .
- Auxiliary Alternator Locomotives used to operate passenger trains are equipped with an auxiliary alternator. This provides AC power for lighting, heating, air conditioning, dining facilities etc. on the train. The output is transmitted along the train through an auxiliary power line.
- Motor Blower The diesel engine also drives a motor blower. As its name suggests, the motor blower provides air which is blown over the traction motors to keep them cool during periods of heavy work. The blower is mounted inside the locomotive body but the motors are on the trucks, so the blower output is connected to each of the motors through flexible ducting. The blower output also cools the alternators.
- Traction Motor Since the diesel-electric locomotive uses electric transmission, traction motors are provided on the axles to give the final drive. These motors were traditionally DC but the development of modern power and control electronics has led to the introduction of 3-phase AC motors. Pinion/Gear The traction motor drives the axle through a reduction gear of a range between 3 to 1 (freight) and 4 to 1 (passenger).
- Fuel Tank A diesel locomotive has to carry its own fuel around with it. The fuel tank is normally under the loco frame and This huge tank in the underbelly of the locomotive holds 2,200 gallons (8,328 L) of diesel fuel. Sand Box Locomotives always carry sand to assist adhesion in bad rail conditions. Sand is not often provided on multiple unit trains because the adhesion requirements are lower and there are normally more driven axles.
- Air Reservoirs Air reservoirs containing compressed air at high pressure are required for the train braking and some other systems on the locomotive. These are often mounted next to the fuel tank under the floor of the locomotive. Air Compressor The air compressor is required to provide a constant supply of compressed air for the locomotive and train brakes.
- Radiator and Radiator Fan The radiator works the same way as in an automobile. Water is distributed around the engine block to keep the temperature within the most efficient range for the engine. The water is cooled by passing it through a radiator blown by a fan driven by the diesel engine.
- Turbo Charging The amount of power obtained from a cylinder in a diesel engine depends on how much fuel can be burnt in it. The amount of fuel which can be burnt depends on the amount of air available in the cylinder. So, if you can get more air into the cylinder, more fuel will be burnt and you will get more power out of your ignition. Turbo charging is used to increase the amount of air pushed into each cylinder. Turbocharging gives a 50% increase in engine power.
- Twin Power-Pack 700HP Diesel Engine
- Single Power-Pack 2400HP Diesel Engine
- Locomotive Data General Data Of Locomotive:- Model No. : WDM2 Specification : 16 cylinder V-type 4 stroke Diesel Engine Type : Co-Co Power : 700hp, 1400hp, 2400hp Maximum Speed : 120 kph Gear Ratio : 68/18 Compression Ratio : 16:1 Cylinder Bore : 230mm Cylinder Stroke : 279mm
- Wheel Base:- Wheel Dia : 1092mm Wheel Base : 12834mm Traction Motor : Bhel 165 Track Gauge : 1676mm Brake Equipment : Vaccun/Air
- Maximum Overall Dimension :- Height : 4185mm Width : 3010mm Length : 17120mm Capacity:- Fuel : 5000 lt Cooling Water : 1210 lt Lube Oil : 910 lt Water Expansion : 155 lt Sand : 0.4 m3
- Auxiliary Horse Power Requirement:- Auxiliary Generator Maximum : 17HP Exciter Maximum : 12HP Traction Motor : 400HP Blower at full speed : 62HP Radiator Fan : 80HP Expresser Unloaded at 1000 rpm : 13 HP
- BOGI ASSEMBLY SHOP
- Parts Of Bogi
- Bogie Shop The locomotive bogies are rebuilt with new wheel sets, suspension bearings and remanufactured traction motors. Separate shop has been set up for machining of wheel sets and assembly of locomotive bogies.
- Machines Used In Bogi Shop
- Asquith CNC Machine Computer Numeric Control machines is a closed loop machine. As the name depicts these machines use computer for their operation. Computer Numeric Control machines are controlled by a set of different ISO codes that helps in proper controlling of the machine. In modern CNC systems, end-to-end component design is highly automated using CAD/CAM programs.
- View Of ASQUITH CNC Machine
- In this machine all the operation which is essential for bogi is performes. Mainly these operation are following- Cutting Milling Finishing Drilling Fillit Grinding
- Radial Arm Drilling Machine In radial arm drilling machine there is a one column on which radial arm is fixed. Radial arm are horizontal arm this is movable around the column. This is main advantage of this machine. In drilling machine different type drill can be fixed. But twist drills are very common in use. Holes of different diameter can be done by using drills of different diameter.
- View Of Radial Arm Drilling Machine
- Axle Turning Machine Axle turning machine is also called lathe machine. In this machine material is removed by the single point cutting tool. Turning of axle, grinding of axle operation are performed on this machine.
- Result And Conclusion The BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS is the most widely used transport system in India. The production of the parts and units of rails forms an important and integral part of the proper functioning of the railway system in India. Its World's largest manufacturer of ALCO diesel loco spares such as Gears, Cams, Con rods, Pins, Carbon Brushes etc. DCW manufactures large components such as traction motors and locomotive power packs, rebuilds engine blocks, traction generators, etc.
- REFERENCES http://www.google.co.in/ www.bhel.com http://en.wikipedia.org http://www.railway-technical.com http://www.howstuffworks.com/ Manual Report of BHEL
View more >