2 feigenbaum - stacks

Click here to load reader

Post on 15-Feb-2022

0 views

Category:

Documents

0 download

Embed Size (px)

TRANSCRIPT

Unknownin -4 >z -n O 73
O
Sherman,
Co-chairpersons
Subject: Minutes of February 8 AWG meeting
***Next AWG meeting Thursday, March 8, at 3 p.m. in Polya 152***
In at tendance: oDavid Pasta, Statistics
Randy Melen, User Services Gloria
Guth,
History
"71
o Peter Vesanovic, Network Services Pat Box, User Services 2m
-:. o 71 >z oc S
Jean Robertson, GSB Jackson Library Ed Williams, SCIP Campus Facility- Don
Sherman,
Penney Jordan, Education
OLD BUSINESS
AUTOMATED TAPE LIBRARY (ATL) Vicki reported that the ATL Task Force has had two meetings. Julio Alvarez will now chair the committee. The following is a list of topics which the task force will consider: the billing system, reports generated, cleaning tapes, interactive protocols for the tape library management, tape procedures for both Operations and the Information Desk, an algorithm for deciding which tapes are to be put in ATL, and revisions for the /*SETUP request. In the discussion about ATL, AWG members asked about write rings and read-only rings. In addition, they recommended that users be able to indicate when they want their tapes in or out of ATL. AWG members also requested that Don Gold of Systems write up the specifications for the ATL. There was some question about how ATL identifies a tape, specifically how it deals with non-labeled and foreign-labeled tapes. AWG members also asked whether, in contrast to
TLMS,
0
n
5 m 5o 70 >zac 5
accounting. The ATL hardware accommodates 8 tape stations, and any of SCIP's tape drives can be hooked up to ATL.
TELEPHONE RECORDING OF SYSTEM STATUS A log is being kept of when the recording is updated. AWG members asked to have a report at the next meeting on both the log and the matter of a clock for the machine room.
NEW BUILDING Ed reported that the move to the new building is still scheduled for Memorial Day weekend. Construction is a bit behind schedule at this point. Alison suggested that the user community would like more information about the 3033 computer and what effect it will have on costs, turnaround time, and other aspects of computing. There will be a Bulletin article soon. Beginning there will be a concerted effort to the new building.
in late March or early April, publicize aspects of the move to
Bl
FEB 2 8 1379 X FEIGENBAUM
Ul -4 >Z -n O 70a c Z <m 771 Ul H-:
-1 >z no 7-.a
OFFICE MEMORANDUM STANFORD UNIVERSITY OFFICE MEMORANDUM STANFORD UNIVERSITY " OFFICE MEMORANDUM
REPORT ON UNIVERSITY TASK FORCE ON COMPUTING Ed reported that members of the University Task Force on the future of computing discussed networking at a very active meeting on January 29. The firm of Booz, Allen, and Hamilton presented the results of their study of possible replacements for the University's current CENTREXsystem of communications. CENTREX is no longer in production by Pacific Telephone, and it will become harder and harder to get new lines installed, parts for replacement, etc. Booz, Allen, and Hamilton collected data on the needs of the various departments and schools within the University in terms of communication. They recommended beginning work on a network around campus (using fiber optics) with every major center having its own electronic PBX. There are still technical problems (e.g., how to splice cable of this type) as well as cost considerations about what kind of return justifies such a major investment ($lO-15 million range). The Task Force will next discuss the plans of the various computer center directors for networking. The AWG hopes to hear a report on that meeting.
O
n
? m 5o 10>z c; c 3
OCR READER Don reported that the people studying which OCR equipment SCIP should get have now made a recommendation. They are currently working with Systems to make sure it is compatible. They have selected the Compuscan Alpha with one
font,
Prestige Elite. It can read 10 or 12 pitch type, as well as single, double, and triple spacing. SCIP will test the machine internally, and if the performance is favorable, it is planned that the service will be available to users in the fall.
PORT PROBLEM Approximately 10 new dial-in and 10 new TRAN ports were added in January. AWG members reported many fewer problems with getting a line, even in the middle of the afternoon. There is some consideration being given to hard-wiring the public terminals in the new building, so they will not go through TRAN. This will free more ports for users at other sites.
o
MANAGERS' REPORTS
Pat Box, User Services Carolyn Aut r ey-Hunley is the new SCIP liason with EDUNET. There are two positions open in the documentation area within User Services, a writer/supervisor and a documentation support person. There is some new software currently being tested: PL/I Checkout compiler, interactive WATFIV, and a spelling program. The seminar on General Linear Models in SAS has been cancelled. A catalog of all documentation available at Document Sales is now available. The MCST will not be supported after May 1. There were some problems with the university Mailing Services during January causing some of the SCIP Bulletins to be delivered extremely late.
Jim Moore, Systems From a Systems standpoint, the capability of producing microfiche output will be ready in two weeks. Expected turnaround will be overnight (subject to meeting the deadline). Questions of more public fiche readers and documentation have not been worked out. A document is being drafted - AWG will receive a copy to review. This service is
in
-"(
-<
<m 71 on H -<
H > "no 70 CI
OFFICE MEMORANDUM STANFORD UNIVERSITY " OFFICE MEMORANDUM STANFORD UNIVERSITY OFFICE MEMORANDUM
expected to be available to users sometime after April 1. ORVYL is being readied for the move to the 3033. The new SYSGEN of HASP (version 1.7K) will soon be tested on the 168. Users will be invited to help with the testing in exchange for some free computing. It will be ready to go when the 3033 becomes operational. There have been recent changes in MILTEN to bring DECNET into production. Initially, the communication between machines was line by line; now communication is being buffered. DECNET will have dial-up capability.
Peter Vesanovic, Network Services oTwo of the public Tektronix CRT terminals were stolen in January. SCIP is investigating how to bolt the public terminals down. Locking the building is seen only as a last resort. Two CRT terminals will be moved from the hard-copy terminal area to the quiet area. This incident represented the third and fourth terminals stolen from SCIP in the past 8 months.
fl
DISCUSSION
Operat i ons Alison mentioned that since PRINT commands from WYLBUR no longer had JCL printed, she would like the header page folded and not the second. Folding the second page occasionally makes a "pretty" copy unusable. There were several gripes about the Pine Hall operators. 3800 output on several occasions was not sorted and binned promptly, causing users to go through the whole stack themselves looking for their output. On other occasions, operators were chatting in the back of the room and users were unable to get their attention, resulting in users going behind the counter to put some mis-binned output in the locked bins themselves .
on —I >z -n 0 ; -
O
0Tapes There was some discussion about migrating little-used data sets onto tape automatically. AWG members suggested that this be a user option. Such archiving is not directly linked to ATL. The previously-discussed self-service tape drive is not in any immediate planning stage .
nm
in
o 70 >z ac S
User Forum AWG members agreed to organize a User Forum for April 19 at noon, with the move to the new building being the topic under discussion. SCIP will support the AWG's efforts in this regard. Further planning was postponed until the next meeting.
Lockers There will probably be lockers available in the new building. After some discussion, AWG members suggested that June 1 be the last day on which the current Pine Hall lockers could be used. The new lockers will be available on a quarterly basis for a fee of *5. Use of the locker must be renewed each quarter.
SYNCSORT AWG members requested that at least one set of reference manuals for
SYNCSORT,
the new sort package, be available in the study racks. Don reported that contrary to published specification, requesting a large amount of core to get a more efficient sort does work. There had been
u> —I > Z Tlo 70o cz < ni _o Ul —1 -<
2 m _£ o 70 >zac 5
c Z <m JO vi H
<
several other problems that have been taken care of
Checkout Compiler Alison mentioned that ARAMIS would be more inclined to test the PL/I Checkout compiler if a reference manual were available.
Terminals There are some problems with connecting a floppy disk to a smart terminal and then sending data to the 370/168. There will be more 1200 baud dial-up lines when SCIP moves to the new building. Alison suggested that there be someone at SCIP to whom users could report networking problems. Ed will report back to the AWG on this request. Connie Wood, SCIP Data Entry, will soon offer the service of reading in IBM-compatible floppy disks.
o Tl-n n m
2 m 2 o >z a c S
PRINT from WYLBUR David suggested that, since PRINT jobs now go directly into the output queue and are therefore free of CPU rates, PRINT jobs from WYLBUR should be charged for card-images read and /*LIST jobs should be charged for cards read. This would reduce the cost of many PRINT jobs and increase the price of large PRINT jobs and most /*LIST jobs. There was discussion about reducing the flat rate for Class Q as a way of reducing costs for short jobs.
JCL pre-scan Users would appreciate a JCL pre-scan that could, among other things, determine if a given job should run in Class
Q,
Class E, or Class B. However, there are no plans for this at this time.
AGENDA FOR NEXT MEETING O "Tl "fl n m
2 m 3 o > Z
CT
C
5
A more complete agenda will be available at the meeting. Some of the topics to be discussed will include:
Class 0. charges and limits Minicomputers and SCIP - report by Ed Williams LCIP accounts - usage figures, processors used ATL Task Force User Forum plans and publicity Move to new building - Ron Code on specific plans Limits for the 3033: defaults and priorities Handling of suggestions Pricing of documents Report on system status telephone recording and machine room clock Report on computer usage by account type
H >z no ;:j
<
c z <m 71 Ul H
<
Don
Sherman,
David Pasta Statistics
Clifford Barnett Anthropology
Jim Standish
ARAMIS, #2209,
Nancy Tuma Sociology Dept
Joel Ferziger Norman Wessells Mechanical Engineering Humanities £ Science
Gene Franklin Gio Wiederhold Computer ScienceElectrical Engineering
Gloria Guth History
J . Q. Johnson
Penney Jordan CERAS
Information Desk SCIP
Bob Kinchel oe Jim Moore Applied Electronics LAB SCIP System
Marsha Kohler Bob Nosanchuk SCIP OperationsN. California Cancer Research
Nick Mackenzie Larry Rosen Dept. of Biological Science SCIP Accounting - Pine
Ed McGuigan Peter Vesanovic 1801 Page Mill Road, Suite 200 Palo Alto, CA 94303
SCIP Network Services