pa summit 2012
Post on 17-May-2015
News & Politics
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Beth Becker Progressive PST @Spedwybabs Alan Rosenblatt Center for American Progress @DrDigiPol
2. Social Media: A definition
- Social :
- 1. pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations: a social club.
- 2. seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious.
- the means of communication, as radio and television, newspapers, and magazines, that reach or influence people widely
3. 4. The way things were: Email Advocacy
- Email is a closed communication loop
- Email was the only online channel to reach Congress
Campaigns email activists (very few forward it) Congress gets the email (but no one knows for sure) Activists send email to Congress 5. The way things are now: Social Advocacy Congress can t ignore because the world can see! Campaigns emailactivists & promote on social media Activists send email to Congress & msg via social media Activists sent to email/petition page, twitter petition, Facebook wall, etc. 6. Questions to Ask Yourself What do I want to say? When do I want to say it? Who do I want to say it to? Who do I want my audience to repeat it to? What areas of interest exist between us & our audience? Where does my audience live? How formal is my relationshipwith my audience? Which social media platform is best to accomplish my goals? What other pieces are there to this campaign and how can social media complement them? 7. Know theTwitterAudience in General Category Number Worldwide Users 100 million + % of Users Access via Smartphone 55% Average # of Tweets/Day 230 million Estimated % of Passive Users 40% The Racial Gap 25% users African American, 16% Caucasian Racial Gap part 2 Largest growth: Latinos at 33% monthly The Age Gap Largest age group: 18-29 at 18% Bridging the Age Gap Largest growth: 30-49 at 14% growth Income Over 50% over %50,000/year Geographic Location 15% Urban, 10% Rural % of Internet Users who Admit using Twitter 13% 8. Know theFacebookAudience in General Category Number Worldwide Users 600 million + % of Users Access via Smartphone 200 million + The Age Gap 18-25= 35% of all users Bridging the Age Gap 50 and older= 12% and rising 58% yearly % of FB users related to overall web use 72% Page Post Impressions % 10% of fans see any one update Profile Post Impressions % 10% of your friends see your status updates Gender Gap Myth 298 million male- 288 million female Average time spent on FB/week 7.5 hours 9. Social media reaches influencers
- Traditional influencers
- Policy Professionals
- New influencers
- State/issue bloggers, organizers, e-newsletter editors
- Social network influencers
- Influencers extend & enhance your influence (trusted 3 rdparty validation)
10. 11. Emerging Social Networks 12. 13. Dont be fooled 14. 15. Engagement Authenticity Holistic 16. Engagement is everything 17. Audience 18. 19. Engagement 20. Get followers, then deepen your connection
- Connect Follow people you want following you
- Following people who tweet about the same topics as you creates a 15-30% chance they will follow you back.
- Engage Reply to people you want following you
- Not everyone notices who follows them, but everyone notices who mentions them. Reply w/ information & links you know will interest them. Ask questions & converse.
- Recommend Retweet/#FF followers you want
- Recommend people you want following you to your followers by retweeting them & w/ #FF (Follow Friend).
- Repeat Repeat steps 2 & 3 after they follow you back to deepen your connection.
- Remember, it is about exchanging VALUE
21. Twitter Lists 22. 23. 24. Measuring influence: Twitalyzer dashboard 25. Measuring URL referrals & reach 26. Measuring audience growth: Facebook 27. 28. Shortened & Customized URLs 1 29. Measuring URL clicks 30. 31.