agile ux nyc 2012
out of 34
Post on 05-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTION"The Missing Agile Principle" -- talk given 2-25-2012 at Agile UX NYC conference.
- 1. The missing agile principle Giff Constable Agile UX NYC 2/25/2012
- 2. WHO AM I?partner @ Proof"early stage specialist"skillset generalist"16 years of startups"co-organizer, lean startup meetup"
- 3. Agile Manifestos First Principle Our highest priority is to satisfy thecustomer through early andcontinuous delivery of valuablesoftware.
- 4. Agile Manifestos First Principle Our highest priority is to satisfy thecustomer through early andcontinuous delivery of valuablesoftware.
- 5. Valuable means delivering results toboth the customer and the businessand nding sustainable balancebetween the two.
- 6. Think about how your customerdenes and would measure successusing your application, and trackthat. Matt Meeker, VC@Polaris / Founder@Meetup
- 7. What are your Key PerformanceIndicators?
- 8. Agile can fall prey to focusing onprocess rather than value.
- 9. How do we know if its done?"" should become"How do we know if its good? Lane Halley, LUXr
- 10. ERIC RIES 4th STATE OF AGILEA story does not end at acceptancebut rather must be validated for value.
- 11. what about UX?
- 12. UX should be the stewards of value.
- 13. Im not satised with what I hear theUX community talking about.
- 14. But hey, UX is HOT right now!
- 15. The spotlight will be short-livedwithout a focus on results, withouttackling the language of business andnot just languages of customer anddesign.
- 16. UX CANT LIMIT ITSELF TO THIS
- 17. UX OWNS THESE QUESTIONSWhat need?"For whom?"How do we solve need?"How do we get customers?"How do we make money?"How do we beat competition?
- 18. We need a mental shiftrequirements become hypotheses designs become experiments outputs become outcomes
- 19. Agile UX PrincipleWork does not end at shipment butrather must be validated for value.
- 20. My Career Advice HypothesisIf you focus on results, and youcommunicate in terms of results, youwill earn that seat at the table.
- 21. where to START?
- 22. To accomplish this, you need to thinklike an owner.
- 23. Think about product and valueholistically.
- 24. NO MORE US vs THEM
- 25. Involve everyone early and staytransparent, even if it hurts at rst.
- 26. Tap into peoples pride. Everyonewants to work on somethingmeaningful.
- 27. Build a culture of hypotheses, notegos.
- 28. Mentor and get mentored acrossfunctional lines.
- 29. Get scrappy. "Dont wait for permission."Be persistent."And broadcast the wins.
- 30. Dont be afraid to measure."OWN RESULTS.
- 31. Ultimately, work is meaningless unlesswe create something valuable.
- 32. The Principle I Try To UpholdWork should begin with the hunt forvalue, and not end until value hasbeen validated.
- 33. GIFF@PROOF-NYC.COM" " @GIFFCONSTABLE
View more >